Well, tomorrow we start back for our first full week of school. The kids have held it together fairly well. Only one major meltdown for DD at school (sad, isn't it, that we see this as an accomplishment). I wonder what it's like to send your kids to school and not worry whether they will make it to the end of the day? DS told me on Friday that he can't wait for Monday so he can go back to school, so that is an excellent sign. Both kids are excited about new friends and their sports participation. Let's see how long the honeymoon lasts!
But, today was rough. DS had a major meltdown - the first one since we started his meds. It was over the fact that he couldn't spell Louisiana properly, and had to learn the state abbreviations (something I know he can master in 5 min.), and I know he made a conscious choice to escalate. He started out pretty mild, but when I asked him to go sit on the stairs for a few minutes until he could get back on track, he blew up, ending with doors slamming, hitting his head hard on the wall, kicking, yelling, etc. It just exhausts me! Finally got him calmed down, and then had another meltdown 20 min. later. Sigh.
Fortunately, I had a reprieve - I went to a play nearby with a couple of friends, called "Church Basement Ladies." If you were raised Lutheran (as I was), this is a hilarious snapshot of the traditions and quirks from those childhood church fellowship events. Some serious belly laughs, and not to mention nice to come home after the kids were in bed. I brought DH a Blizzard as a thank you for letting me go.
So now I am preparing for the new week. The kids' new schedules, with sports added in, are insane, and it feels like I'm learning a new language. But, I think it's important, so I will run around like crazed chicken for the next few weeks as I learn the ropes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hi, I just found your blog because of your comment on another blog. I have two girls that we adopted from foster care almost three years ago, and your struggles sound oh so familiar. My girls haven't been diagnosed with FASD, but the symptoms sound very similar to what we deal with too.
Post a Comment