Yesterday, DD changed clothes for me. I am thrilled!
OK, that may not sound like much, but here's the deal. We are leaving for a trip today, and I had told the kids yesterday not to wear any of their "nice" stuff because there wouldn't be time to wash it before we leave. DD, of course, came down in her newest "skort," and when I asked about it, she said she didn't want to take it on the trip. Of course she had to argue when I called it a skirt ("It's a skort, Mom!" - like that's the relevant part of the conversation), but when I asked her to change into something older, and explained that I did want to take it, she did just what I asked - no arguing, no yelling, no bawling, no door slamming, no muttering, no stomping (well, maybe a few heavy footfalls) - but she did it, and quickly!!!!
Not long ago, this would have been a setting for a full-blown rage - anguished howls, yelling about not getting to wear what she wanted, not having anything else good to wear, me not loving her, her hating her life, etc. It would have wound me up, taken time we didn't have, and thrown our morning into a tailspin. It's a small victory, and maybe a temporary one, but a victory nonetheless ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I have to laugh at you being corrected. My daughter Ki does that all of the time and it drives me bananas. My husband wonders why Ieven argue with her. Great job changing clothes thought.
Post a Comment