How would I know that someone was calling me…
If my daughter did not shout, “The phone is ringing!” every time it rings two feet away from me?
How would I know what I was wearing…
If my daughter did not announce, “Mom’s wearing tan pants and we are both wearing jeans,” in the car on the way to school?
How would I know that Bobby does not like green beans…
If my daughter did not tell me, in detail, about the random likes and dislikes of her classmates?
How would I know that Barbie’s hair can melt…
If my daughter had not put the doll’s head up against the gas fireplace?
How would I know the importance of summarizing…
If I did not hear my daughter’s twenty minute explanation of a two minute activity?
How would I know how to see beyond the exterior…
If I did not see my daughter’s ability to look past disabilities to see the precious person underneath?
How would I know about the capacity of children to accept…
If I did not see my daughter’s classmates like and accept her for who she is, foibles and all?
How would I know how to ask for forgiveness…
If I did not have to ask my daughter to forgive me when I “blow it” as a parent, time and time again?
How would I know about the capacity to forgive completely…
If I did not see that kind of forgiveness in my daughter’s eyes when she grants it to me, time and time again?
How would I know the meaning of “faith like a little child”…
If I did not see my daughter’s unquestioning belief in God and His grace?
How would I know the blessings of my Christian spouse…
If I had not had to learn to lean on him to get through the tough times?
How would I know the importance of community…
If I had not needed the support of all the parents who are walking this road with me?
How would I know the power of the human brain to learn…
If I did not watch my daughter master those skills which no one thought she would ever accomplish?
How would I know the power of the human heart to heal…
If I did not see my daughter triumph despite abuse no human should have to endure?
How would I know the power of the human soul to hope…
If I did not find the strength, again and again, to hope for my daughter’s future, despite the odds?
How would I know how to persevere…
If I did not have to pick myself up each new day to try again?
How would I know humility…
If I did not have to ask again and again for God to help me, teach me, make me a better parent, and forgive me for my failures?
How would I know the strength of my soul…
If I had not been challenged by God to do what I thought I could not?
How would I know how to trust the Lord’s plan for me…
If I had been unfortunate enough to have things go according to my plan instead of being blessed by His?
How would I know the wonder of love…
If I have not walked this unexpected and blessed path?
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Wow. Beautiful words, Heather.
I love this.
Did you write this? I am impressed great writing skills!
Erin - yes, this came to me the other day when my daughter announced the phone ringing for the third time that day, and grew from there. Thank you for the compliment!
This is beautiful! I hope it's OK with you if I link to it on my blog?
Marythemom in Texas
Thank you Mary - you are certainly welcome to link this if you like.
Post a Comment